Thursday, May 7, 2009

On the road again...

Saturday, I attended a mature drivers class, and wrote a column about it, that got more than the usual reaction.

http://www.bradenton.com/jim_jones/story/1410768.html

Here's an email from one reader:

"I hate to burst your bubble, Mr. Jones, but my savings on my insurance after taking this course was only $3.03!!

"When my renewal came up with Travelers Insurance, it did not have a deduction listed for the safe driving course. When I checked, I found my three years were up and I needed to take the course again. So I did. I found you could take the course over the computer for $14.95. After I successfully completed the course (only 2 wrong out of 40 questions), I submitted my certificate to Travelers. Their response was a deduction of $3.03! Previously it had been $36.90 per each six months period. I am a safe driver, the only ticket I ever got was for parking at the school where I worked. I have never submitted a claim, been in an accident, etc. $3.03!!!!!

"If you get a better discount, I would like to know what company. Needless to say, I am searching for a better contract."

Others were amused at how I had swallowed my pride, and others still wanted to know how to sign-up for the class.

You can contact the MCC Traffic Safety Institute for a class schedule at 752-5286.

I was fortunate to have as my instructor Pat McCabe, who retired Tuesday. The class appreciated that Pat bought everyone coffee and donuts in the morning and pizza at lunch. Who else does that?

Here's a note I received from Pat:

"I want to thank you for all of the kind words directed toward myself and the Mature Driver class in last Sunday’s paper. You have made me a hero among my peers. It is a great way to end what has been such a rewarding career. "

my pleasure,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment