Monday, June 20, 2011

Donna Hayes: 8 years is enough

Manatee County Commissioner Donna Hayes, who has represented District 5 --  essentially the southeast portion of the county -- for eight years, announced today that she won't seek re-election. Here's her statement:
"It has been my great honor and privilege to serve as Manatee County Commissioner.  During the past 31 years, I have enjoyed community involvement on numerous committees and I hope that will continue.  In 1992, I was a vocal supporter of “Eight Is Enough” legislation which limited Legislative House terms to eight years.  I plan to impose those limits on myself.  My original commitment to supporters was to serve a minimum of eight years and, with God’s Blessing, I will complete my eighth year as Commissioner.  I will not be a candidate in 2012.   
"Many folks leave public office to pursue a business opportunity but I have already had a business.  My intent is to spend more time with my family, travel, golf, enjoy my social life and other personal endeavors. Special thanks is extended to all of my family, friends and supporters who have encouraged me to serve another 4 years, but I must confess that my personal commitments have prevailed.  
"My purpose in announcing my intentions early is to allow a proven qualified community leader to seek the County Commissioner seat in District 5.  I will support a conservative candidate with a strong record of community involvement and genuine roots in Manatee County. Manatee County deserves the best.
"Thank you for the outstanding privilege of serving as Manatee County Commissioner.  Campaign contributions (2012) will be fully refunded."
 Lakewood Ranch Vanessa Baugh is an announced candidate for Hayes' seat. JoAnne Klement issued a statement today saying she is considering throwing her hat into the ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment