Monday, August 17, 2009

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

As a life-long non-hippie, revisiting Woodstock through the memories of several who were there was an enlightening assignment for me (see Saturday's story on the 40th anniversary of that historic festival).

I most enjoyed hearing their recollections about the legendary bands and performers who took the stage back then.

But I was also fascinated by the adventures they shared about just getting there. It was a time when bus fare from Michigan to New York was $25 -- a lot of money to some back then.

Several of those I interviewed were curious about my past, and to learn that at the time I was serving in Vietnam with the U.S. Army. It was a time when those in short-hair almost stood out more than those with long hair.

Regardless of what side of the cultural divide you might have been on back then, most would have agreed that they would like to see more peace, love and understanding. Still do.

And the music lifted the spirits of a generation, whether they were in Haight-Asbury, Bradenton, or Long Binh.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment